The Halls are run mainly by volunteers and actively works to bring in the local community. We are committed to make the Halls accessible for young people, as well as working on making both the Halls as well as our walking trails and other projects accessible to those with physical disabilities.
Primrose Day Nursery offers high quality facilities in a building designed to high standards of environmentally sustainable design, for up to 40 children.
The nursery is newly constructed; offering modern purpose built facilities and includes separate rooms for children aged 0-2, 2-3 and 3-5.
We feature a secure entry system and access to an outside play area which is secure and enclosed, recognising the importance of fresh air and active play to children’s development.
who are we?
The Maryhill Burgh Halls are a community led organisation, set up by the Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust. The Trust was established in 2004 by a group of local people, after demolition plans for the building had been proposed. The Regeneration Project dramatically re-imagined the Halls, and has put the Halls back into the heart of Maryhill community with a re-opening in 2012.
The reborn Halls complex now features the Maryhill Museum to display the local heritage and history of the area, as well as a cafe, a host of tenants, and spaces that are regularly booked out to use for dance recitals, weddings, and conferences. Our tenants vary from the Venice of North recording studio to George Buchanan Architects, and can all be found here.
The Halls are run by volunteers, and also provide many different activities. Besides tours of the building, we provide free walking tours around Maryhill to learn more about the heritage of the area. We also run a school programme with varied focus on heritage and nature, as well as the Heritage Choir, which welcomes both young and old, no matter the level of experience.
The new Burgh Hall building at Gairbraid Avenue was formally opened on Friday 26th April 1878. It came about due to the result of the increasing population growth in the town of Maryhill and the lawlessness this created. The H.M. Inspector of Police for Scotland insisted that the Maryhill Police Commissioners took steps to provide a more suitable building for police purposes. They allocated a portion of ground at the junction of Gairbraid Avenue and Wyndford Street, (now Maryhill Road) and plans were prepared which included the necessary police accommodation, court room, and a public hall to seat 900.
The design work was carried out by Duncan McNaughtan, a local Glasgow based architect. He was born in Rutherglen in 1845. Between 1868 and 1870 he worked in London and in 1871 returned to Glasgow to commence business on his own account at 178 St. Vincent Street.
It would appear that he won a competition in 1876 to design the Maryhill Burgh Halls. It resembles a French hotel, a style that was relatively popular both in Glasgow and internationally in the 1870s.
McNaughtan died in Bearsden in 1912.
Visit the Maryhill Museum in the Halls to learn more about the history of the area, or why not join us on one of our free guided tours through the buildings to see the beautiful stained glass and hear about the old uses of the Halls?