In 1847, the Free Church congregation had to leave the existing Maryhill Parish Church, and, while they were having a new church built, temporarily held their services in a sawmill near the boatbuilding yard at Kelvin Dock - a building that soon got the nickname 'Maryhill Cathedral' !
The Maryhill Free Church in Sandbank Street/Aray Street was completed in 1848 by the architect Charles Wilson. In 1859, the spire was added - an unusual design that is square at the bottom, has a middle stage that's octagonal with small lancet-windows in it, and a round spire above.
The church is now housing and a nursery, but the building and its spire have remained a key Maryhill landmark for over 150 years. In particular, the church and its spire feature prominently in one of the Stephen Adam stained glass windows, with the Canal Boatman standing with his horse on the canal bank just in front of it.
It's therefore doubly sad, that in the year when the Burgh Halls is re-opening at last, and the stained glass panel featuring the spire is coming back to the building it was designed for at last, that the spire itself appears to be in the process of being taken down.
The church building was listed by Historic Scotland in 1989; their description of the building is online here.
The entry for the church in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects is here.
The architect of the church, Charles Wilson, built a number of churches, and also the gate houses at the Botanic Gardens, as well as laying out the design for Park Circus on Woodlands Hill.
Find out more about the Canal Boatman panel here.