Glasgow Herald
Saturday April 20, 1878, page 5, column 5
New Municipal Buildings At Maryhill

Though the burgh of Maryhill presents few attractions to the rambler in search of the picturesque, its development and dimensions exhibit many pleasing signs of progress. Of late years its growth has been rapid, and it is now fast assuming the proportions of a large and thriving town. Seven years ago its population did not much exceed 5000; now it is estimated at a little over 16,000; while its police assessments, which twenty-two years ago only realised £3000, now amount to the respectable sum of £62,000. Building operations are being carried out on a large scale, and at the present time there are no fewer than forty different manufactories in the burgh. In these circumstances it is not surprising that the Police Commissioners should have resolved to provide the community with municipal buildings and public hall accommodation suitable to the wants and requirements of the burgh. Plans and estimates prepared by Mr McNaughtan, architect, Glasgow, were accepted by the Commissioners, and building operations were commenced in the summer of 1876. The buildings are now almost finished; and their formal opening has been fixed to take place on Friday the 26th curt.
The new buildings, which are handsome in appearance and a decided ornament to the locality, have been treated, architecturally, according to the French Renaissance style. They are situated on a piece of ground bounded by Wyndford Street on the north, and Gairbraid Avenue on the south, and have three frontages - one to Wyndford Street and Gairbraid Avenue, and the third towards the apex of the triangle which the ground forms. The buildings are planned so as to be connected in one group, the various departments being kept separate by the internal arrangements. The main frontage has in its centre a massive porch, approached from the roadway by a flight of steps, and above it is a plastered break carried up to the level of the wall head, and crowned by an ornamental pediment, in which it is proposed by-and-by to place a clock. This portion of the building embraces Police Court, commissioners’ room, collectors’ room, clerks and burgh surveyor’s offices, &c, &c. Entrance is also obtained by this front through a corridor to the public hall, and by a private entrance to the police department. This department fronts Gairbraid Avenue, and embraces captain’s room, medical officer’s room, men’s muster room, Police Office, waiting room, and 15 cells, four of which have been specially designed for the accommodation of “drunks”. Careful consideration has been given to the sanitary requirements of this department, the arrangements for heating, ventilation, and cleaning the cells being very complete, while a lavatory and bath-room has beeb provided for the use of the constables. The public hall extends along Wyndford Street and presents a pleasing and handsome appearance. It is expected to afford accommodation for 1000 persons, and the lighting and ventilation are exceedingly effective, while there are abundant facilities for ingress and egress. On the hall windows are representations of the the various trades and manufactures carried on in the burgh, and it is proposed in the course of time to furnish the hall with an organ. The acoustics of the hall were tested yesterday by a company of vocalists in presence of Provost Robertson, and others, and were found to be most satisfactory. 
The mason work had been carried out by Messrs J & W Murray, Maryhill; the woodwork by Mr Archibald Macfarlane, and Mr Peter McOmish has acted as clerk of works; while the works have been carried out under the supervision of Mr McNaughtan, the architect.

Comment