One man here is working the bellows and another hammering a horse-shoe. There was a horse-tram depot for the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company on Duart Street off Maryhill Road, and it would have needed a farrier, but it did not open until 1883.
The canal boatmen would also need their horses shod, and this smiddy might well have been connected with that activity. The P.O. Directory for 1877-8 lists an E Mackenzie, blacksmith at Agnes Street, so this could be his workshop.