The Dawsholm Gasworks which supplied Maryhill was actually within Glasgow, on the west bank of the Kelvin on Skaethorn Road. It was built by the Glasgow Corporation Gas Department in 1871-2 at the cost of £160,000. 

 The provision of services like these added fuel to the arguments for the annexation of surrounding burghs by Glasgow. The works was demolished in 1968 and lay long derelict before being developed for housing.

Comment