New stained glass unveiled on June 7th.
The Trades House of Glasgow and its 14 Incorporated Trades ran a competition in 2011 open to students from the Glasgow colleges, to design a new stained glass window to celebrate the historic links between the city and the trades of the Maryhill area.
The window, which is being generously gifted to the Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust, will be on prime public display in the upper foyer. Many of the original twenty windows designed by Stephen Adam in 1878, which are now displayed within the Halls after a gap of nearly 50 years, depict crafts carried out by the Incorporated Trades at that time.
The winning design for the new window was by Agnes MacLean, student at City of Glasgow College, whose design depicts the shields of the House and its Trades against a starburst background.
The new panel has another key link to Maryhill - the window was constructed by local glass artist Bryan Hutchison, whose father Neil worked with artist Gordon Webster, whose father Alf inherited Stephen Adam's business and studio. Bryan has a number of tools and brushes that Stephen Adam would have used on the original panels, 134 years ago, and they are still in use today. Bryan has kindly agreed to loan one of the brushes to the Trust to put on display in the Burgh Halls.
Irene Scott, Chair of Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust, said: "I'm delighted to be able to accept this amazing gift on behalf of the Trust — the Burgh Halls is becoming known as a home for stained glass old and new, and the connections and links this window holds to the past and present — both through the importance of the trades depicted, and the link to Stephen Adam himself."
Jack Steele, Deacon Convenor of The Trades House of Glasgow, said: "Supporting and encouraging craft standards through Glasgow's colleges is one of our key aims — and this project was an innovative way to both celebrate the past, but also help encourage the next generation of designers and craftspeople.
The Maryhill area is an important part of Glasgow — and in fact this year's Deacon Convener's Special Project is also in the area — East Park, the much-loved special needs school."
High-resolution photographs from the opening, and of the new stained glass, are available on request.
Notes to journalists:
About The Trades House of Glasgow
Since it was established in 1605, the Trades House of Glasgow has played an important role in fostering trade and industry in the city, along with its 14 Incorporated Crafts. While continuing to promote traditional craft skills through a wide variety of initiatives including Craftex, showcasing the top art and craft work of college students in Glasgow, the School Craft Competition and School Citizenship Award, the House is now widely viewed as a centre of excellence in the administration of trusts and legacies, managing funds in excess of £14 million. Considerable resources are also devoted to general benevolent work, with grants of around £600,000 awarded each year to deserving causes and individuals. Find out more about the work of the Trades House and Incorporated Crafts online at www.tradeshouse.org.uk.
About Maryhill Burgh Halls
This news release is issued by Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk
Further information is available from Gordon Barr, Heritage Development Officer, 0794 081 5202 at any time or email: email@example.com
The 134 year old building has undergone a £9.6 million restoration project, which has breathed new life into the iconic Halls, saved them for the community, created a thriving centre for business, and made the place once again the focus and beating heart of Maryhill.
Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust raised this remarkable sum to secure a bright future for the treasured Halls and in so doing recapture the splendour of one of the city's best loved buildings.
The restoration work began in November 2009, and the building was declared officially re-open in April 2012.
In November 2010, the project was awarded a prize for best contribution to Urban Regeneration in Scotland through the use of European Structural Funds at the European Structural Funds Best Practice Awards.
Maryhill Burgh Halls were the seat of municipal government in the days before Maryhill was a part of Glasgow. Built in 1878 and designed by renowned architect Duncan McNaughtan, they have lain derelict for the past eight years and are listed on the Buildings at Risk register. Now open, the Halls include a modern public hall, cafe, 11 offices, a commercial and a community recording studio, a nursery, meeting rooms and courtyard garden. Around 8 years of hard work has been put into developing and delivering the project.
The Board of the Trust, which comprises local people and representatives from partners Maryhill Housing Association, Cube Housing Association and Glasgow City Council, has worked tirelessly to deliver the restoration.
The contractor for the project Graham Construction has secured employment opportunities within the local community by creating three apprenticeships in joinery to work on the Halls restoration. Funding for the Maryhill Burgh Halls project has come from:
European Regional Development Funding £1.327m
Scottish Government City Growth Fund Phases 1 and 2 £1.26m
Heritage Lottery Fund £1.16m
Big Lottery - Growing Community Assets Fund £980,910
Glasgow City Council Better Glasgow Fund £1.02m
Glasgow City Council Vacant and Derelict Land Fund £675,000
Scottish Government Town Centre Regeneration Fund £1.8m
Historic Scotland £593,000
Scottish Government Wider Role Fund £764,000
The Robertson Trust £28,000
Everyone who is interested in following the development of the project through to completion can view progress and comment on the project on the Trust's Website at www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk