When it first opened in 1878, Maryhill Burgh Halls was topped by a dramatic octagonal cupola, featuring an air vent topped by a landmark wind vane. This was removed some time in the late 20th century when it became unsafe.

Part of the restoration of the building involves the replacement of a replica cupola to return the building to its original appearance. 
This replacement structure is now starting to take shape in the workshops of specialist contractors Hutton & Read Ltd.

An archive image of the Halls, showing the original cupola in place, can be seen on the RCAHMS Canmore site here.

A video of the leadwork being shaped onto the dome can be seen here:

Replacement Cupola Metalwork from Maryhill Burgh Halls on Vimeo.

 

Comment