Find out more about the Canal Boatman panel here.
Find out more about the Canal Boatman panel here.
Proposed Baths, Maryhill, Glasgow
From The Builder, April 18 1896, P.344
The plans for the new baths and washhouses for Maryhill, sanctioned by the Glasgow Corporation some time ago, have finally been approved, and it is expected that the erection of the baths and washhouses will be at once proceeded with. In the plans now approved the swimming bath is 75ft by 35ft.
There will be 6 hot baths for women, private washhouse with drying stove, and 35 washing stalls with drying stoves, and three hydro-extractors are placed conveniently at different points in the wash house.
The plans have been prepared by Mr A.B. McDonald, city engineer, and the cost is estimated at 10,000l.
Saturday April 27, 1878, page 5, column 5
Opening of New Municipal Buildings At Maryhill
The New Burgh Buildings and Public Hall erected by the Commissioners of Police of the burgh of Maryhill, and which were recently described in the Herald, were formally opened yesterday afternoon. The proceedings took the form of a cake and wine banquet, and there was a large attendance of gentlemen connected with Maryhill and the other suburban burghs. After an inspection of those parts of the buildings which are intended for the use of the Commissioners and their officials, the company assembled in front of the entrance to the Public Hall, where Bailie Murray presented Provost Robertson with a silver key, with which the Provost opened the hall door and invited the company to enter. In the proceedings which followed Provost Robertson presided, and amongst those present were Sheriff Lees, ex-Provost Shaw, Bailie Murray, Provost Cowan, Hillhead, Provost Harvey, Pollokshields, ex-Provost Hunter, Bailie Kennedy, Bailie McKissock, and ex-Bailie Inglis, Partick, Provost Mair, Kinning Park, Rev. Messrs Shanks, Rae, and Girvan, Maryhill, Mr Taylor, town-clerk of Maryhill, and Mr R McGowan, town-clerk of Partick. Addressing the company,
The PROVOST said he had to thank them for responding to his invitation to attend the opening of their new municipal buildings. The occasion afforded him a fitting opportunity for taking a brief retrospect of the past history of the burgh. It was now in its twenty-third year, the first meeting called for the adoption of the general police act having taken place in February 1856, and the necessity that then existed for municipal government must still be fresh in the recollection of some gentlemen present. The importance of the place through its local industries had increased the population and rendered police protection a very desirable matter. Having sketched the formation of the burgh, he said that no-one had done more for it than Mr Shaw, who had for twelve years been Provost, and three years a Commissioner. (Applause.) Shortly after the formation of the burgh the Commissioners found it necessary to erect police chambers, court hall, &c., and a site having been procured, buildings were erected on a position, leaving the balance of the property free for disposal, and all this at a cost of £2781 17s 10d.
After deducting the portion not required for police purposes, which yielded the sum of £1500, a balance of £1281 17s 10d was left as the cost of their present police buildings. The rental of the burgh at its origin was under £9000, while at present it was over £62,000. In course of time the police buildings were found unsuitable, the accommodation being much too limited, and the arrangements altogether objectionable, but the erection of new buildings was delayed until forced upon them. It was ultimately resolved in 1873 to acquire the site on which the present buildings were erected, and the price paid contrasted very favorably with that obtained for ground immediately adjoining, the price of the burgh purchase being 5s 3d per square yard, whereas the last price of that referred to was about 27s per square yard. Now that the work had been carried out, it was for them to judge whether they had made a wise selection. (Applause.)
Having stated the various departments into which the building was divided, the Provost said that although the accommodation might at present be a little in advance of the their requirements, it was not considered wise or prudent to provide only for the present, but to look to the future. (Applause.) In conclusion, he had to declare the new hall open, and he had given great pleasure in presenting ex-Provost Shaw with a silver key similar to the one presented to himself. He hoped Mr Shaw would be long spared to take an active part on the affairs of the burgh. (Applause.)
Ex-Provost Shaw suitably acknowledged receipt of the gift, and briefly referred to the great progress the burgh had made in the past 35 years. The usual loyal and patriotic toasts were then given in succession by the chairman, and enthusiastically pledged, after which
Ex-Bailie INGLIS, Partick, proposed, in the absence of Sheriff Clark, “Prosperity to the Burgh of Maryhill,” and in doing so remarked that he had been quite amazed at its progress. The time might come when it would be necessary to absorb Maryhill, Hillhead and the other burghs into Glasgow, but when it did come he hoped it would be done in a kinder spirit than was shown at present. (Applause.)
Baile MURRAY replied.
The other toasts were “The Sheriffs of the County”, proposed by Mr Taylor, and responded to be Sheriff Lees; “The Neighbouring Burghs of Hillhead, Partick and Govan,” proposed by Bailie Murray, and acknowledged by Provost Cowan and Bailie Kennedy; “The Burghs of Kinning Park, Govanhill, Crosshill, Renfrew, and Pollokshields,” proposed by ex-Provost Shaw, and replied to by Provost Harvey, and “The Architect.” (Mr McNaughtan).
The band of the 79th regiment was present, and played several musical selections during the proceedings.
The silver keys presented to Provost Robertson and ex-Provost Shaw were formed so as to be suitable for fish-slicers, and were supplied by Mr Sorley, jeweller, Argyll Street.
In the evening an assembly took place in the new Public Hall, which was numerously attended.