Working with wooden tools, they are making wooden wheels. In 1878, most vehicles, carts & carriages still had wooden wheels, though these were iron-girded. A coachbuilder’s shop appears likely, and at Ruchill Bridge was located David Stirrat & Co., spring van and lorry builders, which fits the bill.
In 1900 this building became a cooperage for Fergusson’s lead and paint works. It occupied the now waste ground north of Ruchill Church.